March 4, 2017

Factors That Contribute to a High Rate of Recidivism - Part 1

George's Note:

The following account is from a former inmate in the Florida Department of Corrections. Despite FDC Secretary Julie Jones's assertions that things are improving, on the front lines, much remains the same. The culture of brutality is alive and well. And people wonder why the recidivism rate is so high.


Mr. Mallinckrodt,

I recently learned of you via YouTube and felt the need to write. I was diagnosed bi-polar, among other things, when I was fourteen. I was also an inmate in Florida's Department of Corrections for six years - 2010 to 2016 - in various prisons (Tomoka, Martin, Moore Haven and both the "Reception" Centers). During this time I was beaten on an almost daily basis, tortured by officers, raped by other inmates (on behalf of officers), subjected to extortion and robbery, mental and emotional abuse and - on two occasions - officers attempted to use their position in order to have me killed.

While in CM (Close Management - solitary confinement in some cases - George) I also had to listen as officers conspired to have inmates starved and raped (this is in addition to using their knowledge of where working cameras were in order to position things so that they could not be seen urinating into our food when they brought our trays around) as well as murder inmates and then doctor things to make it appear to be a suicide.

One thing you might want to be especially aware of: While at Martin Correctional Facility I once made the error in judgement of telling officers I planned to report them to Prison inspectors. Big mistake, but the answer I got was...enlightening. I was told that most of the inspectors, former corrections officers, were either bought or involved in the corruption and sadism themselves. Those that were not - well, I was told that any inspector who didn't want to "play the game," and dug too deep, might just suffer an "accident" - well away from Prison grounds.

Thought you should know.

Sincerely and respectfully,

XXXXXX XXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

George Mallinckrodt