March 16, 2016

A Letter From a Person Who Had a Good Experience with the Florida Department of Corrections

George's Note: I have redacted all identifying information to maintain confidentiality. The FDC does have people who care and give their best effort under trying circumstances. These people deserve to be acknowledged.

Hi George:

I listened to some of the show last night but I was tired and fell asleep. Sorry, lol. I wanted to let you know of the progress I've made regarding advocating for my cousin, XXXXXX at XXXXXX Correctional Institution. I've been writing my cousin but another inmate was responding for him so I was unsure of his psychiatric state and ability to reply on his own.

A few months ago you gave me contact info for Dean Aufderheide and to be honest, I did nothing with it because I was so sure I would get stonewalled and didn't want the disappointment. Well, last week on the 3rd, I called him to ask if he could help me. He was extremely receptive and even thanked me for caring enough to make the effort. I did drop your name as the person who referred me by the way :)

Dr. Aufderheide gave me the email of the Regional mental health person, Joanne Lee. Ms. Lee responded the same day saying she would follow up and have someone contact me from XXXXXX C.I. The very next day I received email from the prison psychiatric director, XXXXX XXXXXX. I called her this past Monday. Ms. XXXXXX had already obtained a release from my cousin and spoke very openly and thoroughly with me about him and his current mental status. She too thanked me for caring.

I asked her to find out if his counselor would talk to me as well. She called me the next day again to tell me the counselor would be willing to speak to me once it is O.K.'ed by my cousin. She also gave me the name of his classification officer whom I spoke with that day as well. And just like Aufderheide, she thanked me for caring.

I am very encouraged by the interactions I've had with the prison thus far. As I told Ms. XXXXXX my long term objective is to get him released since there's legislation now reconsidering the cases of inmates sentenced to life as children as my cousin was. Ms. XXXXXX said "we are very happy for those inmates" and the possibility of release. These types of responses from a prison official were very surprising to me, but much appreciated and encouraging.

Thanks for your help and direction George. I pray for your well-being and thank you for the work that you do,

XXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

George Mallinckrodt